How I Get Great Sleep
Sleep. We all do it. Most of us do it badly.
After spending years of my life plagued with bad sleep - I finally decided to really research and experiment. The result was me distilling down a few key things that I can easily repeat to keep things simple.
This is such a common problem - and one I personally end up talking about a lot. I end up repeating everything here, so I am finally writing it down so I've a link to share 😊
Before we begin...
- This post contains some affiliate links for products I am recommending. I actively use these and would recommend them anyway. The fact I may get a small kickback is bonus - not the goal.
- Some research says you need 8 hours sleep. I respectfully disagree as I've personally found 6h of great sleep to be all I need. That being said, I'm not a doctor. Listen to yours and your body more than me.
- I may not do ALL the steps every night. However, the ones marked ⭐ I do. If I am really tired, then I do the whole list as I know it's super effective!
- I've listed as a schedule - as "S(leep) - (Time)". A bit like a rocket launch, but it's taking you to Sleepytown and not the moon". Start from the top, work your way down - skip some steps if you want!
Sundown - 👓 Blue Light Blocking Glasses On! ⭐
- Apps / Computer settings to filter blue light are pointless if you've got your house lights on. The only way to be sure you're blocking it all is to wear glasses.
- You can blue light blocking glasses on Amazon for about £20 - IMO, this is one of the cheapest and most accessible things to improve sleep.
- It's worthwhile reducing the brightness of all lights, as well as wearing the glasses.
- If you already wear glasses - I assume you'd need to look at getting prescription lenses made.
S - ~45mins / 1hour - ❄ Chilipad On! ⭐
S - ~30mins - 🚿 Clean up!
S - 10mins - 🧠 Empty the head! ⭐
S - 5mins - 🧴 Topical magnesium
S - 2mins - 🙉 Earplugs in!
S-0mins - 📚 Read for funsies! ⭐
😳 Still struggling - 🧘♂️ Meditation!
- Add 10-15 mins on top of the time you want. It takes time for you to actually fall asleep! For example - if I want a 30 min nap - I set the alarm for 45mins.
- For a power nap - consider a 'Nappuchino'. Down an espresso, have a 30min nap (alarm set for 45 mins, see above). Just as the caffeine is kicking in, you wake up! 🚀
- Consider a Bluetooth mask with headphones. These are great for a few reasons:
- It's likely daytime - you need to block out the light.
- If you roll on to your side, they don't hurt ears like earphones.
- Playing the same track each time can have a Pavlovian effect - and get you to sleep faster.
- Avoid napping on your bed - it's too easy to go deep.